Museums in Cabonne

Age of Fishes Museum, Canowindra

Imagine a world ruled by fish! Long before dinosaurs roamed the Earth, the mighty rivers of the Central West teemed with bizarre ancient fishes - armoured fishes, fishes with lungs, and some huge predators with jaws like crocodiles. Thousands of their fossils were found at Canowindra and give us a unique glimpse into life during the Devonian Period - the 'Age of Fishes'.

The Age of Fishes Museum and Visitor Information Centre is OPEN 10am to 4pm, 7 days a week. No need to book  for families and small groups.

For more information visit the link:  Award Winning Tourist Attraction | Age of Fishes Museum | Canowindra




Banjo Paterson: More than a Poet Museum, Yeoval

Welcome to the Banjo Paterson… more than a Poet . An exciting presentation dedicated to the life and times of Australia's favourite poet, Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson, the exhibition is located at 43 Forbes Street in the small town of Yeoval NSW.

This is the only exhibition in Australia dedicated to the life and times of Banjo who was born on 17 February 1864 near Orange. Banjo went on to grow up on a property near Yeoval, 'Buckinbah Station', where he gathered many of the early memories of bush life that he would go on to immortalise in verse.

Yeoval is a character filled rural service centre on the crossroads between Dubbo, Wellington and Parkes. It is surrounded by rich agricultural land and is known for its production of fine wool, wheat, orchards, canola, vineyards, beef cattle and fat lambs.

For more information visit the link: BANJO PATERSON | more than a poet or call 0427 208 913



Canowindra Historical Museum

The Canowindra Museum was established in a former school building which was transported from the outlying center of Murga in 1970. Several other small buildings and two machinery sheds have since been added. The adjacent Railway Cottage, formerly the Stationmasters residence, built in 1910, was purchased by the Historical Society in 1988 with a Bi-Centennial grant.

The Museum is situated in the main street next to the Memorial Park and the Age of Fishes Museum.

Highlights of the Museum are the shepherd’s hut circa 1828, Harold Boyd’s complete dental surgery, a wedding gown collection from 1881-1982, a reconstructed wool shed, wheat harvesters collection from 1843, photo collection and the Pioneers Wall.

The Canowindra Museum is operated by the Canowindra Historical Society. 

For more information visit the link: Canowindra Historical Museum - MGNSW or call 0433 130 859


Eugowra Historical Museum and Bushranger Centre

The Eugowra Museum and Bushranger Centre was opened by Cabonne Council Mayor John Farr on the 25 – 26 October 2003. And a new extension has recently been completed but is not yet open.

This building was formerly a stock and station agent’s shop, but with government grants, gifts and lots of volunteer labour, it was refurbished into a great little building holding a huge variety of antiques and old wares from Eugowra’s past.

Robert Ellis first started the museum years before at his home in Norton Street, and this was subsequently run by Hilton and Jean Clements, grandchildren of Hanbury Clements, pioneer of the town of Eugowra and of Escort Rock fame.

Much of Robert’s collection was given to the Museum, when the Eugowra Promotion and Progress Association (EPPA) undertook to operate it.

Eugowra’s claim to fame in most Australian history books is as the place where bushrangers held up the gold escort coach on 15 June, 1862, on its way to Bathurst. This turned out to be very worthwhile for the gang, who got away with fourteen thousand pounds worth of gold and banknotes. It was the biggest gold robbery in Australia’s history and in today’s money would be worth about $8 million.

The Museum also has a significant collection of wartime memorabilia and war souvenirs, and a comprehensive catalogue of Eugowra Service Personnel.

Visit Eugowra Historical Museum & Bushranger Centre - MGNSW or call 6859 2820




Molong and District Servicemen and Servicewomen's Portrait Gallery

All the portraits in this unique collection, were painted by artist Anne Marie Ingham. She gave her time to this project in gratitude for the sacrifices of these men and women, representing all from this area who served in our armed forces. She hoped it would enhance public awareness of their efforts.

The first portraits were unveiled in 2007, another six unveiled in 2008, twenty in January 2009 and five in 2012.

All ceremonies were held in conjunction with Molong & Cabonne Council’s Australia Day celebrations.

Anne Marie died in March 2014 and the last incomplete painted portrait, together with three photographs, were unveiled in October, 2014.

For information visit Molong & District Servicemen & Servicewomen's Portrait Gallery   or contact 02 6366 8105



Molong Historical Museum

The Molong museum is housed in a delightful stone building on the corner of Riddell & Gidley Streets and was built in 1860 as a hotel.  It was then called “The Golden Fleece”.  It is known that a rubble mason and also his son lived in Molong at that time and were responsible for several other stone buildings in the town.

The building has had a chequered life as after being a hotel it later became home and surgery for several doctors over many years.  Some of the old surgical instruments of one doctor, Doctor Andrew Ross, are in the Museum’s collection.  After the doctor’s exit from there it was turned into flats by the then owners and was this way for many years and in time was sold to the Molong historical Society for the rates owing.

The building is large and accommodating and in 2009 received a Federal Government Jobs Funding Grant of $89.000 which was used to repair and refurbish the building using local tradespeople.  During this time everything needed to be packed up and then replaced. It is still said that we have a “work in progress” as there are still repairs needed but from the structural work carried out it is hoped that it will be sound for many years to come.

Apart from the building itself and displays the one attracting the most interest is the Fairbridge Room.  Fairbridge was a farm and home for children from the United Kingdom from the early 1930’s until 1975 and was located approximately 5 kms on the Mitchell Highway towards Orange.   Research was done by interviewing old identities from Fairbridge and older Molong people who remember the farm and school as a thriving little community.

One of the interesting questions asked, by people in the know is, “have you ever seen the ghost”?-  No we haven’t but several members have had some strange experiences so on leaving the building at lockup time we usually talk it “her” and say goodnight.  There is a lovely atmosphere throughout the building so we think “she” is happy and content as “she” can see us all over the building and care for it.

For information visit Molong Museum  or call 0400 425 015.


Yeoval Historical and Family Muesum

Yeoval Historical Museum was once the home of Mr and Mrs O’Halloran, today its home to the local history of the Yeoval region.

The homestead of the O’Halloran’s, aside the now Buckinbah Park contained a store front where Mr O’Halloran worked as saddler, boot maker and gunsmith.

The Museum preserves the oral history and memoribilia in various displays and focuses on family history of the area.

For information visit Yeoval Historical & Family Museum - O’Hallorans Cottage  or call 02 6846 4190.